BAIF's Mission is “to create opportunities of gainful self-employment for the rural families, especially disadvantaged sections, ensuring sustainable livelihood, enriched environment, improved quality of life and good human values. This is being achieved through development research, effective use of local resources, extension of appropriate technologies and upgradation of skills and capabilities with community participation. BAIF is a non-political, secular and professionally managed organization.”
BAIF Development Research Foundation is a Gandhian organisation committed to socio-economic development of the rural poor. BAIF was founded by Late Dr. Manibhai Desai who came to Urulikanchan with Mahatma Gandhi in 1946.
The objective of BAIF is to provide sustainable livelihood to rural poor through promotion of agro-based development activities. Among various activities, promotion of dairy husbandry is the major activity which is spread over 55,000 villages in 13 states of India benefiting over 30 lakh families.
BAIF Bihar Programme has been working under one of the associate organization named BIRD-UP (BAIF Institute for Rural Development - Uttar Pradesh ) of “BAIF Development Research Foundation” popularly known as BAIF.
BAIF has been started Cattle Development Programme in Sept.2003 in Munger district with 10 Cattle Breeding Centre’s with the support of BIRD-UP. Presently, our programme is spread over 3500 villages, benefiting 52,000 poor and marginal families, through 117 centres in 13 districts.
BAIF strategies is to reduce unemployement through Livestock Development, Improve Livelihood, especially of the BPL families and people participation in the form of different People Organization such as JDVS (Jila dugdh Vikas Samuh), KDVS (Kshetriya Dugdh Vikas Samuh) and GDVS (Gram dugdh vikas samuh) etc.
BAIF’s intervention in Bihar has holistic approaches which focus on Wadi, Watershed, Cattle Development, Tribal Development, Awarenesss and capacity building, Paravet Training etc.
1. Generation of Rural Employment and Sustainable Livelihood (GRESUL)
2. Prakriti Evam Pravrity Sambardhan Karyakram(PPSK)
3. Integrated Watershed Development Programme(IWDP)
4. National Agriculture Innovation Project (NAIP)
5. Integrated Tribal Development Programme (ITDP) called Wadi.
1. Livestock Development
2. Water and Land Resourse Development
3. Agriculture and Agroforestry
4. Agri-Horti-Forestry for Tribal Rehabilitation (Wadi)
6. Empowerment of Women
7. Development Finance (Vikasrath)
8. Community Health
9. Renewable Energy and Environment
10. Training in Sustainable Development
11. Monitoring and Evaluation